The garden enclosure is about 450 square feet so it's a pretty big area. Now granted, there are six beds that cover a good bit of the surface area; but still, I bet I hauled 75 wheelbarrels full of mulch...no kidding. Here is what the cedar bark mulch piles looked like before...
Truthfully, I really didn't mind the work. I love being outside and the weather cooperated with me while I worked on this project. For the most part, it was sunny but relatively cool. The mulch piles are under the canopy of two beautiful live oak trees so I had shade while I worked. Many of the songbirds that populate this area don't migrate and they kept me company with their constant chatter throughout the morning. I heard the hawks down by the river and I was even lucky enough to be visited by a Black Phoebe, a member of the Tyrannidae family (a flycatcher). I've seen her before and she is lovely. Unfortunately, my camera is not very powerful with zoom and I didn't get a very good photo, but hopefully you can see her.
I'm glad this project is done and I feel very good about the work I did. But let's just say I'm OK with waiting another two years before I have to do this again!