Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Romaine Lettuce is Ready!

Check this out!  I picked the first head of romaine lettuce last night.  And what a beauty it was! 


I made a beautiful, simple salad for my husband and me for dinner last night which included the romaine lettuce, orange pepper, English cucumber, slivered red cabbage, campari tomatoes (can't wait for mine!), black olives and a fresh local, feta goat milk cheese that I bought at the Farmer's Market last week.  I like to lightly dress my salad with high quality, extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  Texas is making some great olive oil these days and I try to keep a bottle on hand.  Delicious.




I served the salad along side a piece of fresh Sockeye salmon that we grilled on a cedar plank. It really doesn't get any better than this.


Cedar Plank Salmon is one of the easiest, most tasty ways to prepare fresh salmon.  We go to Home Depot or Lowe's and buy a simple cedar plank, like the kind you would use to build a fence.  Have them cut the plank into 15" pieces.  You'll get about 5 to 6 pieces per plank, at a cost of about $3.00.

When you're ready to cook the salmon, scrub the cedar plank with hot water, no soap.  Then soak the cedar plank in cold water for about three hours (you may have to weigh it down with a heavy can or something).

Remove the plank from the water and lay the salmon piece on the plank.  Rub the salmon fillet with extra virgin olive oil and season it generously with salt & pepper.  Heat the grill to about 400F and put the cedar plank, with the salmon, on the grill and close the lid.  Depending on the thickness of the salmon, it should cook in about 10-15 minutes.  The general rule is 10 minutes per inch of thickness of fish.  Don't overcook it.

Remove the plank from the grill, cover the fish with foil for about 5 minutes to let it rest.  Remove the salmon from the plank and serve.  I can almost guarantee that once you cook salmon this way, you'll never want to eat it any other way.  It truly is delicious.  I do hope you try it.

1 comment: