Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Great Potato Recipe

You guys know I harvested all those potatoes a few weeks ago.  Now the challenge...what to do with them!  This past weekend I created (on the fly...which is my typical MO) a new way to fix hash brown potatoes.  This "recipe" is not rocket science and it lends itself to many variations and possibilities. 
  • Thinly slice a small yellow onion (I used one of mine from my recent onion harvest!)
  • 5 small red new potatoes, scrubbed and cut into a 1/2 inch dice
  • Butter and extra virgin olive oil to coat the pan
Melt the butter and olive oil over medium high heat, add the potatoes, onions and salt and pepper.  Cover and cook until potatoes are cooked but still a little firm (maybe 10-15 minutes), stir occasionally.  Remove cover and let potatoes cook a little longer, until nicely browned.


  • Mix 2-3 tablespoons of half and half with 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard and add to potatoes, stir well
  • Simmer until liquid is absorbed and potatoes are nicely coated

 Add a handful of fresh dill, season to taste with salt & freshly ground black pepper and they're done!


I served them alongside some leftover Cedar Plank Salmon and it made a delicious brunch!  You can add a poached or sunnyside-up egg over the potatoes, which my husband really likes.

So...do you think he liked it? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment