Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Bees in the Greenhouse

My husband and I just got back from a week long vacation to the island of St. Lucia in the Caribbean.  It was a fabulous trip (more on that later).  We were happy to be away from the day-to-day routine but equally happy to get back to it. 

Well, my greenhouse had been closed up tightly for a week and its inhabitants were in need of some TLC.  When I opened the door to the greenhouse, I was hit with an intoxicating aroma...my lemon tree was in full bloom (although a bit water stressed) and it smelled wonderful!  I wish you could smell it too.  It was great. 

Sunday was a pretty warm day so I decided to leave the door open for a bit to air out the greenhouse while I watered everything.  What happened next was amazing.  I went down to the garden for a few minutes and when I returned to the greenhouse it was full (and I mean full!) of honeybees.  I've never seen anything like it.  They were all over my lemon tree.  I couldn't even step into the greenhouse without being overcome by bees.  They weren't aggressive or anything but the message was clear:  "Do not enter!"  So I didn't.  I just stood there and watched,  listened to the hum, smelled the wonderful scent and took in this fascinating event (at least for me it was). 

I think what happened was not much is blooming right now and as soon as the scent of the lemon tree blossoms hit the air, the bees were all over it.

After an hour or so of gathering all the nectar they could possibly carry, the bees began to leave and I was able to get in there.  I got a few wonderful photographs of the lovely honeybees doing their thing that I'd like to share.

I hope you enjoy as much as I did.





 

This little beauty was also having a field day on the lemon blossoms.

No comments:

Post a Comment