Saturday, April 17, 2010

Flooded Guadalupe River

We've had an enormous amount of rain the past week and the river is higher than I've seen it in a long time.  I'd say the Guadalupe came up at least 15 feet.  Incredible.  It's so beautiful but also very dangerous.  I've lived in Texas long enough (28 years) to have a healthy respect for the rivers when they begin to rise. 

Late yesterday afternoon there was a brief reprieve from the rain so hubby and I walked down to the river to take a look.  It was beautiful.  I know I've done posts of the river in the past, but the pictures I took yesterday are worth sharing.  I hope you think so too.

(Clicking on any photograph enlarges it, making each one a little more dramatic!)


 The trunk of this oak tree is completely submerged, as is the bank we usually walk down to get to the river.

 
 

 
 Can you see the big log floating by here?


 

The thistle weeds were in gorgeous bloom as we walked around the river banks.  Take a look at some of these beauties...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 As Harry and I made our way back to the house, the skies began to darken...




and the rains came once again...
 

But what a beautiful way to spend an hour or so on a 
stormy South Texas afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment