Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Broccoli Raab...

Hmmm...Ok...so what do I do with it?

Like I told you earlier, this is a new vegetable for me and my Texas garden.  I had to do a little research to figure out how best to cook it.  It's also not a vegetable that is in my local grocery store so I have little experience in the kitchen with this green beauty.  But hey, I'm up for the challenge :)

Actually, I just did a little online research and found tons of broccoli raab recipes.  As is my usual MO, I picked one of the simplest preparations and made a batch for my dinner last night (hubby was out of town) along with some veal scallopini.  The broccoli raab (and yes, the scallopini too) was delicious!  I'm happy to say I have more of this tasty green in my garden...I really like it!  There are many other recipes out there that I'm going to try.  (But the key to cooking it is to briefly blanch it first). 

Here is a simple recipe that features this nutritious green vegetable in its most basic--but I think perfect--form.  I hope you enjoy. I took a recipe I liked and made it my own...I do that a lot :)

Broccoli Raab with Lemon & Garlic


  • Separate the broccoli raab (BR) into leaves and florets
  • Quickly blanch in boiling salted water; about 2 minutes
  • Transfer BR to an ice bath to stop the cooking
  • Drain and dry thoroughly
  • Chop the leaves, stems and florets into bite size pieces
  • Put a little olive oil and butter in a nonstick skillet
  • Add thinly sliced garlic to oil/butter mixture and heat slowly, just enough to season the oil
  • Increase the heat and add BR
  • Saute 2-3 minutes until heated through (don't cook too long or BR will turn brown)
  • Add a squeeze of lemon juice
  • Remove from heat and add a grating a lemon zest
  • Plate
  • Gild the lily by grating a little Parmigianno Reggiano over the top and serve

Buono Appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment