Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Red Cabbage

This fall, I planted six red cabbage seedlings and everyone of them grew beautifully.  Of course it was a constant battle between me and the cabbage loopers; and although they did munch a few holes in my cabbage, I was able to harvest every one of the six heads.  They are delicious...crisp and full of flavor. 





I try to find different ways to use the cabbage than the old (in my opinion...boring) cole slaw.  I found this recipe in the most recent Bon Apetit magazine and it is delicious!  I've adapted it somewhat (the original recipe called for ligonberry preserves...I didn't have any so I used red current jelly...just as good).  Try it and let me know what you think.  It is a great seasonal salad full of colors and flavors:

Red Cabbage Salad with Red Current Preserves, Honey Crisp Apple and Toasted Walnuts
Serves 8
3 tablespoons red current jelly, divided
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/2 cup canola oil
1 large unpeeled Honey Crisp apple (you could use Granny Smith or Pink Lady), coarsely grated, divided
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted, divided
4 cups thinly sliced red cabbage



Puree 1 tablespoon preserves, mustard and vinegar in blender.  With machine running, gradually add oil.  Season to taste with S&P.

Reserve 1/4 of grated apple and several walnuts halves for garnish.

Toss cabbage with remaining 2 tablespoons preserves, apple and walnuts in large bowl.  Toss with enough dressing to coat.  Season to tasted with S&P.  Garnish with reserved grated apple and reserved walnuts and serve, passing additional dressing on the side.



No comments:

Post a Comment