Saturday, January 9, 2010

Coldest Day

Today we hit a record low in the hills of South Texas.  The temperature this morning registered 12F.  I've lived in Texas 28 years and the last time it was that cold was January 1985, actually the night my twin sons were born (a day hard to forget, don't-ya-think?)!  The high for the past 24-hour period was 15F.  Unbelievable. 



Needless to say, my garden is just about wiped out.  The carrots and spinach came through OK, but the last remaining beets are gone and so is the rest of the toy pak choi.  But such is the price for gambling with a winter garden.  For the most part, I harvested a pretty good yield out of this winter garden so I cannot say that I'm unhappy.  I lost some vegetables but I learned several valuable lessons.  To me, the trade off was well worth it.  And it won't be long before I begin spring planting.  As a matter of fact, I bought my Texas 1015Y onion sets this morning.  And *that* is my project for next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment