Monday, February 21, 2011

Chunky Red Dal Soup

My husband and I love lentils and there are many lentil soup recipes out there.  I've got a few very good ones in my cooking repertoire that we both really like.  But I bought some beautiful red lentils the other day that I wanted to make a soup with so I did some online research and found this absolutely D.E.L.I.C.I.O.U.S recipe.  It is soooo goood and soooo easy.  It is on the table ready to eat in just about 30 minutes.  My kind of recipe!  And it uses 1 tablespoon of lemon juice...another use for my lemons!  Please give this one a try.  I really think you'll like it.

Chunky Red Dal Soup
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 teaspoons peeled, finely grated fresh ginger
3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 cups water
1 cup dried red lentils, rinsed and drained
1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
1   14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained (I used Muir Glen Organice Fire Roasted Crushed Tomatoes because that's what I had...turned out great)
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon harissa (or red curry paste) I used curry paste
Chopped fresh cilantro

Note:  Please do use Smoked Paprika...it really adds depth to this dish


Mix ginger, paprika, salt, cumin, and black pepper in a small bowl and set aside.



Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.  Add onion and garlic; cook until onions are soft, about 6-8 minutes, stirring frequently.


Add spice mixture to onions and cook, stirring constantly, for one minute.

 

Add 3 cups of water, lentils, chickpeas and tomatoes; bring to a boil.


Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 15-30 minutes, until the lentils are tender, stirring occasionally.   (Mine were done in 20 minutes).  Stir in the lemon juice and harissa or curry paste.


Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro.



Buon Appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment