Saturday, March 12, 2011

Garden Seedlings

Yes...geeky me again with an update on the seeds I planted directly in my garden.  With the exception of the carrots, which typically take a little longer, all have begun to germinate too!  The weather has been very cooperative with sunny, very warm days which is perfect for seed growth.  We had one cold night where the temperatures here in the hills dipped to around freezing.  But I covered each bed with a frost blanket and that provided just the protection the little seedlings needed.  All came through the cold night just fine.

Now I know it's really hard to see these little buggers, but they are there and get a little bigger every day.

Romaine and golden chard


 Arugula

 Arugula

 Gold beets

 Red beets


Red leaf lettuce

I have to say my spring garden of 2011 is off to a very good start and I'm very much looking forward to cultivating and nurturing this garden along as spring turns into summer.  That's when the real challenge of gardening in South Texas begins...dealing with the extreme heat that plagues us every summer.  But I prefer to live one day at a time and deal with challenges as they present themselves.  And I'm happy to say, today was a good day :)

4 comments:

  1. I'm excited about your garden too! I agree with your living one day at a time philosophy! I think it makes for a much happier gardener! Enjoying spring and I know you are too ;)_

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cat! Living one day at a time is the only way to do it. Too stressful otherwise :) Yes, I too, am enjoying spring; although we certainly could use some rain! So good to hear from you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would you be able to tell me what kind of soaker hoses those are? I've only ever seen the flat ones, and they seem to put out too strong a spray.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Geeklady! I buy these soaker hoses at WalMart or HomeDepot. I can't tell you the brand they are, but they are not flat and they are readily available. My only complaint about them is that here in the hot South Texas summers, they barely last one season, if I'm lucky. But they are pretty cheap so I guess that's a plus. Hope this helps. Thank you for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete