Friday, June 18, 2010

Blooming Cactus

I think you all know how I feel about having the beautiful Texas hill country as the backdrop for my garden (and my life actually)...I'm truly blessed.  Living here allows me to witness the ever changing landscape of the Texas hills.  Like now...the cactus are in bloom and they are stunning.


The rains came at the right time this season and we are surrounded by beautiful blooming cacti.  I believe there are more than 100 species of cacti that grow in Texas, the widest assortment found in any state in the United States. Many are best known by such nonscientific names as blind pear, cow-tongue cactus, night-blooming cereus, Texas rainbow, tree cactus, early bloomer, and devil's head, so-called because its rigid spines are dangerous to the hoofs of horses and cattle.  I won't pretend to know the scientific (or nonscientific) names of all the species that grow around me.  I simply want to share with you their wildness and beauty.  I do hope you enjoy :)




 


 




Even the caterpillars love them!  Better they eat cactus blossom than my vegetables!

No comments:

Post a Comment