Saturday, December 19, 2009

Gold Beets

OK..so you already know I love beets and that includes gold beets (I guess you could call them orange beets as well because they really are orange).  Anyway, gold beets are just as good as red beets but they have a milder flavor.  Since gold beets are sometimes hard to find in the markets, I decided to grow my own this fall.   

I harvested my first crop of gold beets a few days ago and they are beautiful! 





My favorite way to cook them is very simple: 

* remove the tops (save the greens...more on these later)
* scrub the beets very well.  The skins are so thin you don't need to peel them.  A good scrub is sufficient.
* place beets in a heavy duty aluminum foil pouch
* drizzle with extra virgin olive oil
* tightly close pouch and roast at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes to one hour
* remove from foil pouch and let cool slightly
* slice thin, sprinkle with good kosher salt or even better, fleur de sel, and serve

Although I wasn't born and raised in Texas, Texas is home and I love living here.  But there are many Texas and Southern foods that I'm not familiar with because I wasn't brought up with them.  Beet greens is one of those foods. 



Since I used to think beets came out of a can, trying to figure out what to do with the beautiful beet greens was a real challenge for me.  So I did what I always do when confronted with a cooking challenge...go online!  I visited epicurious.com (one of my favorite cooking websites) and was amazed at the number of great recipes for cooking beet greens.  I tried the following recipe and it turned out great! 


* wash and spin dry the beet greens
* stem them and coarsely chop
* quantities below are determined by the quantity of beet greens you have
    - butter
    - extra virgin olive oil
    - shallots, thinly sliced
    - sherry vinegar
* Melt butter and olive oil in skillet over medium heat.  Add shallots; stir till tender and beginning to brown, about 1-2 minutes.  Add beet greens, toss until leaves are tender but still bright green, 2-3 minutes.  Add a splash of sherry vinegar, stir 30 seconds to one minute.  Season to taste with salt and fresly ground black pepper and serve.

Sauteed beet greens has become one of my new favorite foods! 

Buon appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment